State Level Events
New Jersey DECA provides two state level events to serve special populations. These events are only open to students in special populations.
- Any student with an I.E.P. (Individualized Educational Plan) who is also enrolled in a corresponding class is eligible to enter the Customer Service Event, or the Supermarket Careers event.
- The Special Needs Event Form can be found in the New Jersey DECA Handbook. This form must accompany the Regional and State Conference registration forms.
- Students who are entered in the Customer Service Event will compete in the following instructional areas:
- Human Relations/Job Interview
- Personal Selling/Sales Presentation
- Selling/Sales Check
- The product being used in Customer Service for 2016-2017 is: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Foldable-Tabletop-Calendar-Temperature/dp/B00899Y1JK/ref=pd_sbs_201_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00899Y1JK&pd_rd_r=TC80FTGEWCGMMSJNGJJJ&pd_rd_w=kKxES&pd_rd_wg=1xGx2&psc=1&refRID=TC80FTGEWCGMMSJNGJJJ.
- Students who are entered in the Supermarket Careers Event will compete in the following instructional areas:
- Human Relations/ Job Interview
- Operations/ Bagging
- Retail Math/Till Verification
- The sample money for the till verification can be purchased at: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/learning-resources-money-jar/1045834103?skuId=45834103&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_electronicstoys_&product_id=45834103&adpos=1o1&creative=43742638069&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJ_3lfzhgNECFUhWDQoddTAJfQ
- A DECA word bank for students to use as a study guide of industry-related terminology will be used for these competitive events.
- Scores from the three instructional areas will be combined to achieve one score.
- Regional qualifiers will be determined in the same manner as the other qualifying events.
- At State competition, there will be a finalist round.
The event guidelines for each event are located at:2016-17 Customer Service and Supermarket Careers Information